I’ve been pretty lax with the blogging lately, although I have been baking, I just haven’t gotten around to writing about any of it. Today I noticed a couple of bruised bananas in the fruit bowl and I was delighted, not your usual reaction to bruised bananas but if you’ve ever made banana bread/cake you’d understand my rejoicing. I pretty much lived on banana bread when I was travelling around South East Asia two years ago so I love any excuse to make it. I found a recipe in an old recipe book, The Hummingbird Bakery cookbook and set about making some yummy banana loaf. 

I whisked up 270g of soft light brown sugar with two eggs until I could both were well incorporated. This usually takes about ten minutes and you should be able to write the figure 8 with the whisks and it holds.

Next I mashed up two ripe bananas, the recipe suggests 200g, and mixed them into the sugar mixture.

I weighed out 280g of plain flour (only now whilst checking the ingredients has it dawned on me that I used self-raising flour instead of plain flour, oops) and measured out 1tsp of baking powder, 1tsp of bicarbonate of soda, 1tsp of ground cinnamon and 1tsp of ground ginger. I mixed these ingredients into the egg mixture until incorporated and then I poured in 140g of butter (I was supposed to use unsalted butter but I was too lazy to head to the shop for it).

Once all ingredients were well mixed I poured the banana mixture into a greased and dusted loaf tin and popped it into the oven at 170C for an hour. I checked it after about half an hour and realised it had spilled over the edges, thankfully there was a dish underneath it. With the extra raising agents this suddenly makes sense to me now, haha, well it resulted in some lovely crunchy bits of banana loaf to taste while I was waiting for the loaf to bake. I checked it with a knife but it was still quite sticky.


Exactly one hour later it was done and it also had a lovely little dip in the middle thanks to the knife I used to check it. I left it to cool for a little and then cut off the extra bits on the edges and turned it over on to a wire rack to cool for longer.

Finally it was time to try a slice, now you should actually let it cool completely but I’m too impatient and wanted to taste it sooner rather than later. This is such an easy recipe and I don’t know why I don’t make it more often. Now obviously I will try it next time with the right flour and I won’t have such an explosion in the oven, haha. I’m off to have another slice with some tea, yummy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s